Grand Opening of New Belk at Barrow Crossing near Winder, Ga. is March 11 at 9:30 a.m.
New store offers top fashion brands, superior service and full-line home store; celebration includes special promotions and prize drawings
Feb 25, 2009
CHARLOTTE, N.C., Feb. 25, 2009— Belk is placing the finishing touches on its new 73,775-square-foot fashion department store at Barrow Crossing near Winder, Ga. in preparation for the store’s grand opening on Wednesday, Mar. 11. The store is located at 916 Loganville Hwy., in Bethlehem, Ga.
Belk’s grand opening celebration will begin with a 9:30 a.m. ribbon-cutting ceremony at the store’s main entrance. Special guests for the ceremony will include area community leaders, news media and Belk representatives.
The new $6.7 million Belk store features the latest in retail design, lighting, merchandise presentation and décor. It’s a showcase for name-brand fashion apparel, shoes and accessories for the whole family; fine jewelry; cosmetics; and a full-line home store. Additionally, customers will find a wide selection of Belk’s exclusive private brand apparel, accessories, shoes and home furnishings labels.
“We’re excited about opening a brand new store in the Winder area to meet the shopping needs of our customers in the Barrow County community,” said Eric Bass, senior vice president and director of stores for the Belk Southern Division based in Jacksonville, Fla. “We designed the store and the merchandise mix based on what our customers in this community have told us they want. We will offer full assortments of leading brand apparel, cosmetics, accessories and home merchandise for the whole family.”
“We want our customers to have a great shopping experience when in our store, “added Royce Pittman, vice president and regional manager of Belk’s Southeast Atlanta Region. “Our dedicated team of associates is eager to begin serving customers and we invite everyone to come out to see the new store and join us in the grand opening celebration events.”
Grand Opening Celebration Events
The store’s grand opening celebration events feature special savings and values storewide, gift-with-purchase offers and chances to win prize drawings and Belk merchandise. The first 200 customers on Wednesday, Mar. 11 will receive Belk Gift Cards ranging in value from $5 to $5,000 (while supplies last). Other special events to be held throughout the month include: Belk Charity Day shopping event (Saturday, Mar. 7); a bridal focus
event (Saturday, March 14) and Diva Day (Saturday, March 14). See “Special Events Fact Sheet” for details.
“Belk has a long-standing reputation for community involvement and supporting worthy charitable efforts,” said Pittman. The Charity Shopping Day event on Saturday, March 7 from noon to 8 p.m. “is just the first example of how we plan to get involved in the Winder community and become an active and caring corporate citizen.”
The new Belk at Barrow Crossing has a bright, open look, making it easy for shoppers to see and find the merchandise they want. Wide aisles encircle the floor, leading shoppers into the store’s center core area and to dozens of individual merchandise departments, each of which have special décors, merchandise fixtures and floor and wall treatments to create an exciting and enjoyable shopping environment. Neutral and wood tones are used throughout the store to provide a backdrop for colorful merchandise presentations and give it a relaxed and comfortable feel.
Belk also operates stores throughout Georgia in Alpharetta, Athens, Atlanta (Phipps Plaza), Buford, Canton, Carrollton, Cartersville, Centerville, Conyers, Cumming, Douglasville, Duluth, Fayetteville, Gainesville, Griffin, Kennesaw, LaGrange, Marietta, McDonough, Milledgeville, Newnan, Norcross, Rome, Snellville and Thomaston.
Belk Customer Services
Providing superior customer service is a hallmark of Belk, and this will continue to be a top priority at the new Belk at Barrow Crossing. Customers can take care of most of their shopping needs in one stop at the customer service stations located conveniently throughout the store. At these stations, store associates can assist with ringing up sales, purchasing and redeeming Belk Gift Cards, accepting Belk charge payments and handling merchandise returns and exchanges.
The new store’s Gift Registry is designed to provide premier registry services to bridal customers either in the store or online over the Internet at Belk.com. The gift registry system and online shopping capability greatly simplify gift selection and gift giving for engaged couples and their friends and family. The Belk Gift Registry includes a wide assortment of bridal and gift merchandise that can be registered and purchased online through Belk.com or in local Belk stores, and shipped directly to the customer. Belk also offers 12-month special financing for china, crystal, silver and other table-top gift purchases (with purchase of $300 or more).
Other store services include gift wrapping, alterations and many others designed to make shopping enjoyable and “hassle-free.”
The Belk Card
Belk offers its customers the convenience of paying for their purchases on credit using a variety of payment programs, including a 30-day revolving account and special financing for china, crystal, silver and other table-top gift purchases and fine jewelry, all with no annual fee.
The Belk Rewards Card program is designed to recognize and reward its Belk Card customers. All Belk Card customers can earn rewards points for purchases made on their Belk Rewards Card and receive a $10 Belk Rewards Certificate for every 400 points earned (a point is awarded for each $1 in qualifying Belk card purchases). The Belk Premier Card offers additional benefits and services to customers who purchase $600 or more on their Belk Rewards Card in a calendar year, including unlimited free deluxe gift wrapping and free basic alterations (excludes clearance items that are 50 percent off or more), special financing, no annual fee, and notifications of special savings and sale events. The Belk Elite Card offers special triple points events, quarterly pick-your-own sales days, and 20 percent off birthday coupons for customers whose annual Belk Rewards Card purchases are $2,500 or more.
In celebration of the grand opening of the Winder store, Belk Card customers will receive an extra 15 percent discount on all sale items (10 percent on home and shoes; 25 percent on fine jewelry) Wednesday, Mar. 11 through Thursday, Mar. 12. Plus, Belk Card customers will earn Double Rewards Points when they shop with their Belk Rewards Card from Wednesday, Mar. 11 through Sunday, Mar. 15. Customers who apply for a Belk Rewards Card during the Spring Sale will receive a free gift and, if approved, 20 percent off for Belk Card purchases. (More details on this offer are available at the store.)
Belk Store Expansion Plans
This spring, Belk will open three new stores with a combined total space of approximately 268,500-square-feet. In addition to the Winder store, new Belk stores are scheduled to open on Mar. 11, 2009 in Newnan, Ga. (The Forum Ashley Park) and Richmond, Ky. (Richmond Centre). Store expansions are scheduled for completion this spring in Knoxville, Tenn. (Colonial Pinnacle at Turkey Creek) and Ashland, Ky. (Ashland Town Center).
About Belk, Inc.
Charlotte, N.C.-based Belk, Inc. is the largest privately owned department store company in the United States with 309 stores in 16 southern states as of Mar. 11, 2009. The company was founded in 1888 by William Henry Belk in Monroe, N.C., and is in the third generation of Belk family leadership.
Customers can now enjoy a greatly expanded merchandise assortment, a bold new design and lots of exciting features on Belk.com to make online shopping at Belk easy and enjoyable.
FACT SHEET - Belk at Barrow Crossing, Winder, Ga.
For more information:
Royce Pittman, VP & Regional Store Manager, Southeast Atlanta Region
Grand Opening Date:
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Ribbon-cutting: 9:30 a.m. at store’s main entrance
Special Services & Amenities:
The full-service store will offer a variety of Belk customer services, such as a gift registry, gift-wrapping, alterations, Belk Gift Cards and Belk revolving and interest-free charge accounts.
Store Design and Display:
In addition to its distinctive store exterior, Belk at Barrow Crossing has a bright, open interior, making it easy for shoppers to see and find the merchandise they want. Wide aisles encircle the floor, leading shoppers into the store’s center core area and to dozens of individual merchandise departments, each of which have special décors, merchandise fixtures and floor and wall treatments to create an exciting and enjoyable shopping environment. Merchandise displays throughout the store showcase the latest merchandise offerings and fashion trends and help create a fun and convenient shopping environment.
Belk at Barrow Crossing
916 Loganville Hwy.
Bethlehem, Ga. 30620
Store Operating Hours:
Monday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Sunday, 12:30 - 7 p.m.
Vice President and Regional Store Manager (Southeast Atlanta, Ga. Region)
Royce Pittman, 770-586-5955, Royce_Pittman@belk.com
Belk, Inc. Southern Division Executives (Jacksonville, Fla.)
- Dave Penrod, chair
- Eric Bass, senior vice president & director of stores
Belk, Inc. Corporate Executives (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Thomas M. (Tim) Belk, Jr., chairman and chief executive officer
- H.W. McKay Belk, president and chief merchandising officer
- John R. (Johnny) Belk, president and chief operating officer
Belk at Barrow Crossing will offer a wide selection of leading designer and national brands of fashion apparel, shoes and accessories for men, women and children; cosmetics; gifts; and exclusive lines of Belk private brands apparel, accessories, shoes and home merchandise. Its home store will offer a large selection of home fashions, house wares, gift and guild merchandise.
Belk National Brands Including:
- Ladies sportswear by Jeanne Pierre, Jones New York Sport, Joseph A Company, Rafaella, Alfred Dunner, Bandolino, Caribbean Joe, JH Collectibles, Lee, Levi, Ruby Road, Designer Originals, and Jane Ashley.
- Ladies shoes by AK/Anne Klein, Bandolino, Bare Trap, BCBG Girls, Clarks, Dr. Scholls, Easy Spirit, Grasshoppers, Ked, Life Stride, Liz Claiborne, Merrell, Naturalizer, Nine West, Rampage, Sketchers, Sperry, Unlisted, White Mountain, Wolverine, and Yellow Box.
- Intimate apparel by Aria, Fashion Forms, Hanes, Ivy and Annabelle, Jones New York, Laura Ashley, Lilyette, Maidenform, Nautica, Olga, Playtex, Barely There, Jockey, Miss Elaine, Hue, Vanity Fair.
- Accessories by AK, Anne Klein, Brahmin, Cappelli Straworld, D’Margeaux, Dooney & Bourke, Erica Lyons, Guess, Lily Waters, Monet, Napier, Rolfs, Steve Madden, Tanya Lee, Timex, Aigner, Bueno, Mundi, Strada, Liz Claiborne, Nine West, and Fossil.
- Fine Watches by Bulova, Citizen, and Seiko.
- Cosmetics by Clinique, Estée Lauder, and Lancôme.
- Men’s clothing and sportswear by Louis Raphael, Nautica, Geoffrey Beene, Lauren, Chaps, Columbia, Lauren, Louis Raphael, Perry Ellis, Van Heusen, Dockers, Haggar, Izod, and Savane.
- Home merchandise by American Dawn, Anchor Hocking, Back to Basics, Black & Decker, Calphalon, Carpenter, Corning/Pyrex, Cuisinarts, Dansk, Emerilware, Fitzfloyd, Franciscan, Frenchtex, Gibson, Godinger, Gorham, Home Essentials, Homedics, Jansport, Kitchen Aid, Krups, Lacrosse, Lenox, Liz Claiborne, Marquis/Waterford, Nautica, Newport, Noritake, Oneida, OXO, Paula Deen, Pfaltzgraff, Presto, Ralph Lauren, Revere, Rowenta, Royal Albert, Royal Doulton, Salton, Samsonite, Spode, Springs, Sunbeam, Tabletops Unlimited, Villeroy & Bock, Wamsutta, Wedgwood, Westpoint Stevens, Wilton Armetale, and Yankee Candle.
Belk Private Brands Including:
- Kristin Davis ladies apparel, shoes, intimate apparel and handbags
- Kim Rogers ladies sportswear, shoes and jewelry
- Choices ladies apparel
- ND (New Directions) ladies apparel
- Madison ladies sportswear, intimate apparel, handbags, accessories, jewelry, hosiery and shoes
- Be Inspired ladies activewear apparel
- Belk Silverworks accessories
- Meeting Street men’s clothing and accessories
- Saddlebred men’s apparel, shoes
- Pro Tour golf apparel
- Red Camel apparel for young men and juniors
- J. Khaki apparel for children
- Nursery Rhyme for infants and toddlers
- Biltmore home fashions
- Mary Jane’s Farm home fashions
- Home Accents home fashions and housewares
- Lorena Garcia home fashions and housewares
- Cook’s Tools housewares
Customers will also find an outstanding selection of fine jewelry and quality watches at the store’s Belk and Co. Fine Jewelers shop including high quality diamond jewelry, rubies, emeralds and other fine gemstones.
GRAND OPENING SPECIAL EVENTS - Belk at Barrow Crossing, Winder, Ga.
Belk Chamber VIP Preview Night- Thursday, March 5, 2009 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Belk Charity Day- Saturday, March 7, 2009 12 – 8 p.m.
Qualifying charities and other non-profit community organizations from throughout the Winder area will have an opportunity to benefit from Belk’s Charity Day shopping event. Each of the participating charities will sell tickets to the public prior to the event for $5 each, keeping all the money collected. The ticket entitles the ticket holder to receive an additional 20 percent off of all regular and sale prices at the new Belk, except in the home and shoe departments, where a 15 percent discount will be given. All normal merchandise exclusions will apply. Tickets will also be sold at store registers during the event, with proceeds from the ticket sales distributed among participating charities. Representatives of the participating charities and non-profit groups will be present during the event to share information about their organizations.
Belk customers will receive a merchandise discount in return for a $5 donation to one of the participating charities. Customers may also register to win a $500 Belk Gift Card and $500 to donate to the participating charity of their choice.
Belk at Barrow Crossing Grand Opening- Wednesday, March 11, 2009
- Ribbon-cutting ceremony at store entrance at 9:30 a.m.
- Store opens, 10 a.m.
- First 200 customers receive Belk Gift Cards ranging from $5 to $5,000 (while supplies lasts) immediately following the ribbon-cutting ceremony.
- Register to wins (four $250 Belk shopping sprees) in four different merchandise areas: women’s, men’s, children’s and home through Sunday, March 15.
Diva Day- Saturday, March 14, 2009 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
The first 50 “DIVAS” (girls 12 years and under) to walk the red carpet in the girls’ 4-16 department will receive VIP treatment, including a “Glamour Shot” photo souvenir, mini-makeovers, a feather boa, and free gift with a $25 purchase in the girls department (while supplies lasts).
Bridal Focus Event- Saturday, March 14, 2009 1 – 4 p.m.
Brides-to-be can stop by the bridal department to meet the new store’s bridal consultant and receive a free slice of wedding cake (while supplies last).