Belk Breast Cancer Survivors Committee Provides Guidance, Inspiration for Company’s Breast Cancer Awareness and Fundraising Initiatives
“Pink is our Passion” Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign includes companywide events in October
Belk to donate one percent of total store sales Sept. 30 – Oct. 2 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure®
Sep 29, 2011
CHARLOTTE, N.C., Sept. 28, 2011 – Belk has called on its own associates who are breast cancer survivors to help lead the company’s fight against breast cancer. A Breast Cancer Survivors Committee was formed last fall when Belk made a three-year, $3 million commitment to benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure®.
The committee advises the company on ways to maximize the success of its breast cancer awareness and fundraising initiatives, and provides direction on how some of the funds will be used in Belk communities. Committee members also serve as a resource for individual Belk stores on planning and executing effective grassroots awareness and fundraising programs and events.
“Each of these women has faced incredible challenges and heart-wrenching experiences as breast cancer victims,” said Jessica Graham, Belk, Inc. vice president, community relations and communication. “They continue fighting the disease through their valiant efforts as members of the Survivors Committee and through their passionate involvement in breast cancer awareness and prevention in their local communities. They inspire us all, and help drive Belk’s efforts to support this critical cause.”
Members of the Belk Survivors Committee include:
- Susan Jamison, vice president and tax advisor, Belk corporate office, Charlotte, N.C.
- Gigi Luedeman, coordinator, sports and cause-related marketing, Belk corporate office, Charlotte, N.C.
- Barbara Matthews of Simpsonville, S.C., sales associate, Belk of Haywood Mall, Greenville, S.C., and,
- Lisa Nelson, area sales manager, Belk of Riverchase Galleria Mall, Birmingham, Ala.
(NOTE: interviews with members of the committee are available upon request)
October “Pink is our Passion” Campaign Benefits Susan G. Komen for a Cure®
Belk recognizes October as National Breast Cancer Awareness month with a month-long “Pink Is Our Passion” campaign, which is part of its overall “belkgives” corporate initiative.
Highlights of this year’s Belk “Pink is our Passion” campaign include:
- Belk will donate one percent of its total store sales (excluding belk.com) Sept. 30 – Oct. 2 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure®.
- All store associates will wear “Pink is our Passion” t-shirts on each Saturday during the month. The shirt design incorporates key breast cancer awareness facts.
- Pink Shops in each store will feature a wide assortment of pink merchandise from a variety of vendors, with proceeds from the sale of some of the products going to Komen (through Oct. 31).
- A special edition Belkie Bear sporting a “Pink is our Passion” shirt and pink visor, will be sold for $14.99, with $5 from each sale going to Komen.
- Customers may honor or remember a friend or loved one affected by breast cancer with a pink ribbon displayed on the stores’ “Wall of Hope” for a $1 donation to Komen (through Oct. 31).
- During Belk’s Columbus Day Sale, Oct. 7 – 10, customers will receive a set of three extra-discount coupons for sale and clearance merchandise purchases for a $1 donation to Komen.
- From Oct. 20 - 24 during Belk’s “text2donate” event, customers can contribute $10 directly to Komen by texting “PINK” to 90999 on their cellphone or smart device.
Funds raised during the campaign will be applied toward Belk’s three-year, $3 million commitment to Susan G. Komen for the Cure® for breast cancer research grants and life-saving community outreach programs. Last November, the company announced that it had raised the first $1 million for Komen. Under the direction of Belk’s Survivors Committee, $599,950 of the funds raised were designated for a Susan G. Komen for the Cure® EDGE Grant for Early Detection and General Education.
About Belk, Inc.
Charlotte, N.C.-based Belk, Inc. (www.belk.com) is the nation’s largest privately owned mainline department store company with 303 Belk stores located in 16 Southern states. The company was founded in 1888 by William Henry Belk in Monroe, N.C., and is in the third generation of Belk family leadership. Its belk.com Web site offers a wide assortment of fashion apparel, shoes and accessories for the entire family along with top name cosmetics, a wedding registry and a large selection of quality merchandise for the home. To connect with Belk via Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, blog, mobile phone text messages or by email, go to: Belk Get Connected.
Modern. Southern. Style.
Belk seeks to satisfy the modern Southern lifestyle like no one else, so that our customers get the fashion they desire and the value they deserve. Our vision is for the modern Southern woman to count on Belk first – for her, for her family, for life.